Tuesday, June 22, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons...Make Pie!!


There is nothing better on a hot summer day, then something cold, tart, and oh, so lemony. This is also a great recipe for any Fourth of July celebrating that you might be doing. It is better to make two, because it is so good it will be gone in a minute. Trust and believe.

Ingredients
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
2 lemons, juiced and zested
2 tablespoons butter
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
4 egg whites
6 tablespoons white sugar





Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).



To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.



To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.



Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
~
This is Home Girl on the Range wishing you a very blessed day.

4 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

One of my faves!!!

Marguerite said...

Oh, I spotted that luscious lemon meringue pie, all the way from Louisiana, cher! YUM! Thanks for the great recipe! Cheers!

Lucia said...

I truly truly love Lemon Merangay pie! That's how I say it, it's like a dance! Merangay! A dance in my mouth....I love it extra tart too! Especially when it makes me suck in my cheeks like a supermodel.

Marlene said...

I'm not big on lemon meringue pie - but seeing yours might just make me try it!!! I wish you were my neighbor. I would so pop in on you for your delicacies!!! (Oh, and for your friendship, too!!!)