Monday, November 25, 2013

Monday Meet and Greet: The Sugared Apron

This is where Home Girl gets to interrogate all these amazing cookie artists that have wrapped their arms around her and into the fold of Cookie Artistry.

Cookiers are the nicest people in the world.  I know this because none of them make me feel homicidal the way Cake Decorators do.

Seriously, those girls are cutthroat and I don't play that shiz....

Anywho, I want to introduce to you, my first victim:  The Sugared Apron.

She agreed (did not have a choice) to answer all my questions.  Let me tell you, I just adore this girl.



1- How did you fall in love with baking? When I was very young, I lived with my Grandma for awhile & she always took the time to show us how to crochet, sew, cook, and bake. I'm no good at the 1st two, but the way my Grandma showed me how to cook & baked always kept my interest.
How old were you? I was about 6-7 when I started to make cupcakes on my own, with my Grandma's guidance of course.
2- Just for my own survey, did you ever have an Easy Bake Oven as a child? Ha ha! No I didn't own one as a kid. I guess I didn't need one since I was using a real oven when I was young. Where were my parents?!
3- Name your top five Cookie Artists that you swoon over in no particular order and do not feel obligated to name me (I'm joking, you can't name me. I'm the host. It can't always be about me. Wait, can it?): Ugh, top 5?! No fair! Okay, well there's the usual suspects like Sugarbelle's, Lilaloa, Jill FCS, Cristin's Cookies, Ali's Sweet Tooth & She Bakes! Hee hee! I snuck you in but totally serious! I think I can name 20 more. So many inspire me!
4- I see your handy with some buttercream and your Dimensional cookie cake work is amazeballs....is this a direction you want to continue to grow in? I thought it was but nooooo! At this time, with my regular work schedule, I barely have enough time to do a cookie order for family & friends. As for cakes, they will always scare me. I tried my hand at fondant but I like working with buttercream better. And I only make cakes for family because they're very forgiving & they like cake, especially with cookies on them! I always tell people when they want a fondant cake, "I dabble in fondant, but I dive into buttercream"!
5- Thanksgiving is this week, what kinds of dishes will be on your table? Turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, scalloped potatoes, yams, green bean casserole, cranberry relish, rolls and of course pumpkin and pecan pies for dessert. We're a very traditional family.
6- What is your most favorite thing about cookie art? I have never thought of myself as a artist but when I create a cookie, whether I pipe, draw or paint on it...the look on the person's face when they recieve it is priceless and I think...hmmm I actually created something that somebody likes! Besides the creative aspect of "cookie art", I am constantly learning from my cookie peers and the above "cookie artists" that were mentioned before. You can only strive to do better & be happy with what you create! And the friendships I've made during this whole "cookie art" process is priceless!



7- Tell us why you want to send cookies to James Earl Jones....Hmmm??? LOL! Oh you had to bring him up didn't ya?! Growing up, my brother, sister & I have always loved Star Wars...especially Darth Vadar!! I love James Earl Jones & his infamous voice. Seeing him in that darn Sprint Facebook commerical made me think, hey, if I sent him a batch of "Star Wars" cookies he would want to be my FB friend & would announce to the world, "Cheryl & I ARE NOW FRIENDS"! Then we would become real friends & I would introduce him to even more cookie friends & they become friends with them, he would do more announcing.....& at the end we would all end up at his house watching the first 3 Star Wars movies reciting all the lines from the movie & eat cookies! Hey you asked! And yes, I need help!
8- Approximately how many cookie cutters do you have in your stash? Too many but I think I stopped counting at about 500+ cookie cutters! I have a lot of cookie cutter enablers in my life, it's hard to stop buying cookie cutters. Again, I need help!
9=Are you going to Cookie Con this year? YES!! I had planned to go last year but life happened, so I held on to some of my Cookie Con money & stashed more away so I could go in March 2014! I am beyond excited!!
10- Outside of cookies name 5 passions in your life. 1. My Son Shawn is my everything! 2. My husband & the rest of my family! 3. My home, I'm constantly trying to spruce up the old joint! 4. My collection of cake stands! I think I have close to 50 at this time! 5. My collection of tea pots, cups & tea linens. This collection is relatively new but it's growing!




I adore all her work!!!


Make sure you run over to her Facebook Page and show her some LOVE because that's what we do.

I just love my Suga' Sista's....

This is Home Girl.

Photos Used With Permission from The Sugared Apron

3 comments:

Bakingmomof4 said...

Very nice. I love learning about other cookie artists and what makes them tick!! Sugar Apron is already one of my favorites so it's nice to get to know her a bit better. Thank you!

Tami Rena’s Cookies said...

Great interview!! I love, love, love The Sugared Apron. She always has such amazing cookies.

cherylyvonne68 said...

Thanks again Marlene for taking the time to do this and letting me be a part of your "Monday Meet and Greet"! I can't wait for the next one! Girl....you Rock!!