Friday, September 26, 2014

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" ~ Thomas Jefferson

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
~
Thomas Jefferson

Life
What do those words mean to you?  I want you to read the quote again and really ponder what "my man", Thomas Jefferson was trying to convey to a young nation of people that desperately needed to come together as a cohesive unit to achieve success as an independent nation.  

Many scholars have associated this phrase as having a basis in Autarchism which means, "self rule".  Thomas Jefferson was a self proclaimed Epicurean, "this is a philosophical doctrine that teaches the pursuit of happiness and proposes autarchy, which translates as self-rule, self-sufficiency or freedom." 

I had heard this phrase all my life, especially being a Virginian and later becoming obsessed with a Jerffersonian lifestyle. I'm sure we all have.  I never really "got it" until recently.  

In my opinion, Mr. Jefferson was not referring to America as a collective unit, but that being an Individual, created by something Greater than yourself, a Higher Power, you are solely responsible for three things: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.  

You were blessed by your Creator with your life.  Yours.  Not mine.  Not ours.  You.   

It's your responsibility to live your life to the best of your abilities.  It can either be a great life or you can choose to screw it up.  It's your choice.  

(See where I'm going with this?)

Liberty
Okay, so now that we have established that this is your life to live....yours and yours alone, that produces freedom.  Freedom is giving you the liberty to make your own choices as to the life you want to live.

Each and every day, we are presented crossroads where a choice has to be made.  Do I take a left or right in order to get to my destination?  Do I buy this donut or a beautifully ripe peach?  Do I approach someone with anger or love?

Choices.

Choices affect our liberty...they affect our ability to live the life that we want.  By we, I mean you, me...individually.  Each one of us has a destiny to create our liberty.

True liberty begins with one.  Let us remember than you can never be more than one without yourself.  Two happy responsible individuals create even more freedom.  Simple Math People.

And The Pursuit of Happiness
Hopefully by now, you have grasped the concepts that this is your life and it's your sole responsibility to create your freedom, your liberty.

Personal Responsibility.

Beautiful things happen when you reach this point.  Once you are a free individual (mentally speaking) you can then create your happiness.

Oh.My.God.

If you stop whining about your crappy life and accept that you are in charge of your own happiness then you can share that amazing realization with other's, not by forcing it down their throats, but by not choosing to allow others to try and destroy the happiness that you have created for your own life.

~

Happiness is not a right.  It's not a gift.  It's a choice. You have to choose happiness and when you do, you chose self love.  You will choose to love others.  You choose life, over death, and liberty over a mental jail cell.

I get it.  Do you?

I also choose to not allow people that don't "get it" into my inner sanctum.  Why, because it's my choice, my liberty, my happiness and I have the right to protect it.

Jerry Springer is not Jeffersonian.

Not at all.

~
This is Home Girl.  Go Find Your Own Happiness.

1 comment:

I Am Woody said...

Exactly what I've been trying to explain to Vol Fan's nephew, Dopey, for years and years. And as you can probably guess from his blogname, you know what his deal is. His shitty life is everyone else's fault - could not possibly have anything to do with the fact that he stays f-ed up the majority of the time and therefore, cannot hold down a job or have a normal relationship. Gets on my very last nerve!