Friday, January 21, 2011

Take A Walk To Starboards Coffee Kiosk With Me; Olde Towne Adventures

I really enjoy my walks through Olde Towne, Portsmouth, Virginia.  Some days there is a purpose in my walk and yesterday was one of those quest type days.  I wanted a large cup of hot coffee with a Caramel Cappuccino flair.  I thought it might be nice if you enjoyed the walk with me.  Wanna come along?


You will notice the lovely well designed gardens peppered about.  No matter what the season is, these stunning gardens can put a smile on your face.  This garden is one of my favorites.


After walking three short blocks, we arrive at the Elizabeth River waterfront and Ferry Landing where commuters and tourists alike can catch the paddle wheel ferry to Waterside Festival Marketplace.  The USS Wasp (LHD-1) is visiting in the dry docks to be serviced.  It is a great reminder of all the service members that risk their lives, on a daily basis to ensure our freedom.


Please take note of our wonderful architecture that abounds in Olde Towne.  This is One High Street and is home to Riverview Art Gallery and assorted business offices.


Are you cold from the chill of the river breeze?  Well, then let's go to Starboards Coffee Kiosk and see what Betsy has to warm us up!!  Sweet Betsy and her husband David are not only the owners and operators of this little bit of coffee love, they also provide the heart beat of Olde Towne.  Want to know what fun activities are planned?  Just ask, because they always are in the know.  David also writes a blog for the Virginian-Pilot called, A New Day in Olde Towne.


For being such a small operation, the menu and coffee offerings are huge.  There are fresh baked goods offered daily, as well as sandwiches and other assorted knoshes available.  It's nice when you can just grab something tempting and delishious before you head to work or off onto the ferry to Norfolk.


Here's a peek inside Betsy's busy office.  She makes the best coffee drinks and her evervesant smiles are always free.


Do you hear that?  It's the horn on the ferry alerting us that it's about to leave.  It's okay if we miss this departure, the ferry runs back and forth on a half hour schedule.  I hope that if you live nearby, you will come down to visit my friends at Starboards Coffee Kiosk.  (I included the link to their wonderful travel in Olde Towne Website.)  It is businesses such as this that make Olde Towne so special.  If you plan on making Olde Towne, Portsmouth, Virginia a travel destination in the future, there is no better place to stop and get all the good "insider" information.  You can become their friend on Facebook...that would really make them happy!!

Thanks for joining me on this Olde Towne Adventure.  I am glad you chose to come along.  I hope you enjoy your special Starboards Coffee Kiosk treat.

This is Home Girl and everyday is an adventure living in Olde Towne.

8 comments:

Marlene said...

Great pics. Looks like a place I'd love to visit! Where's the snow?!!! Wish I could give you ours.

April said...

Your pictures leave me "oohing" and "aahing"!

Maddy said...

I really enjoyed our little "walk", especially since we have nothing but mountains of snow around my way :)

LL Cool Joe said...

love the tables and chairs, they look very classy for an outside kind of cafe!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Thanks for the stroll. We are covered with a ton of snow, so no walking here. I lived in Norfolk when I was 9 and off and on til I was 14 when my dad retired from the Navy. I remember ferry rides.

Bluebird49 said...

Love the pictures. How far is Olde Towne from The Center for Pain Management, do you know?---I have to go every month. I think I got lost down there in the middle of Olde TOwne once! (The reason my husband drives me there now!)

Mental P Mama said...

What a lovely stroll!

Anonymous said...

I'll bet that's great on a warm sunny day! thanks for sharing the pics