Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Southern Fried Spaghetti ~ Yes, You Read That Right!

I apologize to the American Heart Association for what I am about to share with you.  I regret that Curves will be furious with me.  I am sorry Weight Watcher's that I am about to blow your whole day's worth of points on a single dish, but I have to.

I have held it in as long as I can and I just can't stand it any longer.  This needs to be exposed.

Have you ever had or heard of Fried Spaghetti?  I have and let me tell you, it's all kinds of wonderful.  This dish was created sometime before I was twelve years old.  It came about one day when my older sister (I called her Lala, no seriously, I did) and I were hungry and there really wasn't anything "good" in the house except for this big pot of leftover spaghetti and meat sauce.  (My mother was not really into the whole being a housewife deal, so many days were spent in creative search of edible food.)


I can't remember whose idea it was to fry it, but I am grateful just the same.  We put some oil in a skillet and dumped in the leftover spaghetti.  It began to sizzle and smell all good.  Pepper and salt was added to the mixture and then....


my wonderful sister, my incredibly intelligent and wise older sister, got some sliced Velveeta cheese from the refrigerator, as well as some grated Parmesan.  We chopped up the cheese and sprinkled in the Parmesan.  Steamy and melted gooiness ensued after stirring the mass of noodles.  It was if the skies parted and we heard angels sing.

Aaaahhhhhhh.....

We sat down with big bowls of happiness and pride in our culinary accomplishment.  There were bits of fried cheese, there were soft and sweet noodles, there were bites of meaty, tomatoey goodness and we devoured.it.all.

For years after this fateful event, I have craved Fried Spaghetti.  In fact, I will make more spaghetti than I think I will need just so I will have enough leftover to make Fried Spaghetti for lunch the next day.  It is a special "me" treat.  I mean me, unless someone else figures out there is noodles available for the makings of Fried Spaghetti.

Go ahead, don't be scared...give it a try.  Think Tomato Soup paired with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.  It is like that, but with noodles.

Think Spaghetti Casserole, but reheated the next day, ya know after all the flavors have had a chance to meet and greet.


Fried Spaghetti...it will change your world.






This is Home Girl and I am grateful to have some "real sister" memories to hold dear.  They are few and far between, but I'm good with that.

14 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

And I just sat down with a bowl of tomato soup with chunks of cheese in it! Sounds very unhealthy and very good!!

LL Cool Joe said...

Now that looks good!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Yours however makes me very hungery and Im on a diet LOL.

Unknown said...

It looks absolutely scrumptious. Leave it to you to think of a genius idea for leftover spaghetti. I like spaghetti the day after the best : )

Anne U @ hot coffee mama said...

That spaghetti looks so good. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

tara said...

That picture looks great. Yum
My mom would bake our spaghetti with chopped up bits of dill pickle. Whenever she visits I have to make it.

Chelsey - The Paper Mama said...

Mmmm! That sounds tasty!

Unknown said...

Everything is better fried! :)

Maddy said...

Just reading about it changing my world! I can only imagine how good it taste!! I'll have to try it next time I'm in the mood for spaghetti :)

Marlene said...

It looks delicious!!!

Laura~peach~ said...

will absolutley have to do this next time we have sketties... we dont have it often cause darling hubby does not like cooked tomatos in anything but he loves me and will eat it as long as i dont offer it often. am drooling thank you berry muchly

Bluebird49 said...

Reminded me of when Mama (I was a child of the '50s) would get 2 cans of canned spaghetti (Franco-American), and first fry up a pound or so of hamburger with chopped onion, drain it and add the cans of spaghetti and pepper it up good. We didn't know anything about Parmesan cheese back then, I don't think! Couldn't have afforded it anyway.

That was our 'fried spaghetti', and even now, it is comfort food to me. Of course, I could be persuaded to be comforted by your version, too, I'm sure! Did you put some of the cheddar cheese curd you were talking about the other day in this?? That stuff sounded like pure gold! It looks really yummy--I don't think to take photos of food very much--you'll have to send some of these on to Ree with our recipe.

Caution/Lisa said...

That looks so much better than anything I might have briefly entertained as a dinner idea for tonight.

Anonymous said...

I think I could comfort myself into an early grave with this one. Awesome. Thanks, Marlene!